Applying for a swimming pool permit
A building permit is required when constructing a private residential swimming pool.
Private residential swimming pools must be sited at not less than 1.5 metres (4.92 feet) from any lot line as per the general provisions within Zoning Bylaw 5050-2009.
A “private residential swimming pool” means a structure used or intended to be used for swimming, bathing or wading, and having a surface area exceeding 14 square metres (150.7 square feet) and a depth exceeding 600 mm (23.62 inches).
Every owner of a private residential swimming pool shall:
- enclose the pool within a fence not less than 1.2m (4 feet) in height, with no opening or gap greater than 50mm (2 inches) and no horizontal member or attachment located between 100 mm (4 inches) and 900 mm (36 inches) above ground level on the outside of the fence that will facilitate climbing.
- wire mesh fencing and gates will only be accepted where:
- The mesh is diagonal,
- The mesh strands are no more than 50 mm (2 inches) apart in both directions,
- The mesh strands have been woven, welded, or otherwise constructed in such a manner as to be dimensionally stable,
- The fence and gate are securely braced top and bottom to prevent sagging, bulging, or lifting; and
- The fence and gate are a minimum of 1.2m (4 feet) in height.
- permit access to the area enclosed by the required pool fence, other than through a dwelling unit, by means of a self-closing and self-latching door or gate designed to return to the secured latched position when not in use.
- latches securing access doors and gates shall not be accessible from outside of the fence, and shall be located a minimum of 200 mm (8 inches) from the top of the door or gate; and a minimum of 450 mm (18 inches) from any opening in the door, gate, or fence.