Permissive Tax Exemptions
Permissive Tax Exemptions
The Permissive Tax Exemption application forms for the 2017 (or 2017 to 2020) tax year(s) are due by July 15, 2016.
Municipalities in British Columbia may exempt certain properties from property taxes by passing a bylaw in accordance with Division 7 – Permissive Exemptions of the Community Charter.
A permissive tax exemption is a means for Council to support organizations within the community which further Council’s objectives of enhancing quality of life (economic, social, cultural) and delivering services economically. District Policy FIN.49 guides identification of organizations meeting Council’s objectives.
There is no obligation for Council to grant a permissive tax exemption.
The following are some examples of types of properties which may be exempted:
- Properties owned or held by charitable, philanthropic or other not-for-profit corporations
- Properties owned or held by municipalities, regional cities or other local authorities
- Properties owned or held by athletic or service clubs or associations and used as public parks or recreations grounds, or for public athletic or recreational purposes
- Properties operated as a licensed community care facility or registered assisted living residence
- Properties providing municipal services under partnering agreements
- Lands held for Cemetery purposes
- Specified properties which are part of a revitalization area
All applications must be submitted to the Corporate Services Department using the prescribed application form (see below), on or before July 15th in order to be considered for a tax exemption for the following year.
The Corporate Services Department will review the applications for completeness. Incomplete applications will be returned. Returned submissions which are not resubmitted by the advertised deadline in corrected form will not be considered for funding.
Council recently approved new policies and application systems for Permissive Tax Exemptions and all other Municipally Funded Grants. These changes were a direct response to Community input from a variety of sources that indicated the application process needed to be pared down and made more clear and simple. This notice is to advise the Community that a simplified policy and application process is now in effect.
The APPLICATION PACKAGE can be found here: Permissive Tax Exemption Application Form
FULL DETAILS of the eligibility requirements and application procedures can be found here: Policy FIN.49 – Permissive Tax Exemptions
The Annual Report Forms can be found here: Permissive Tax Exemption Annual Report Form
Application forms and copies of the guiding policy can also be obtained from the Corporate Services Department, Municipal Hall, 8645 Stave Lake Street, Mission, BC, telephone (604) 820-3700.