Here are some of the projects underway in and around our community from across Municipal operations.
- The District entered Stage 1 water restrictions on May 1. Lawn sprinkling is permitted for even numbered addresses between 6 – 8 am on Wednesdays and Saturdays while odd numbered addresses will be permitted to water on Thursdays and Sundays. Visit www.ourwatermatters.ca for more information on current restrictions.
- Public Works crews are in the process of installing a new guardrail at 14th Avenue and Hurd Street.
- Street sweepers are out daily working to clean up remaining sand left on residential streets from winter. District crews will be out with backpack blowers over the next couple of weeks to remove the winter build-up of sand off of the sidewalks.
- District crews are busy repairing road shoulders, and working to clear ditches of debris, silt and vegetation as part of spring drainage maintenance.
- This year’s spring clean-up runs until May 12. Single-family residents in the curbside collection area may put out an additional two cubic metres of waste on their regular garbage collection day.
- Household Hazardous Waste Day will take place on Saturday, May 13. Mission residential taxpayers may drop off household hazardous waste at the Mission Recycling Depot free of charge from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm. No commercial or agricultural products will be accepted. Check your 2017 Curbside Collection Calendar for more details on commonly accepted products. Proof of residency is required.
- The District of Mission is seeking applications for the Mission Community Heritage Commission. Aspiring members must have strong ties to the community, and be willing to serve 2 years as a volunteer. Visit mission.ca/heritage-commission to learn more about this opportunity.
Parks, Recreation & Culture
Mission Youth Week Skate Competition
We’re closing Youth Week with a bang! Join us for the Mission Youth Week Skate Competition on Saturday, May 6 at 12:00 pm. Registration for the competition starts at 11:30 am and entry is $5 or free with the donation of two items to the food bank. The event will be hosted by Hippie Mike and tunes will be provided by DJ Cuz-0. All ages and skill levels are welcome to participate. Call 604-820-5350 for more information.
Fraser Valley Food Truck Festival
This year’s Fraser Valley Food Truck Festival will roll into Fraser River Heritage Park on May 13 at 11:00 am. Featuring 25 food trucks, an artisan market, live music and face painting, the Festival is sure the please the whole family! The event is free to attend, but don’t forget to bring your appetite and wallet to taste test a variety of gourmet delights.
Volunteers Needed for Summer Events
Planning is underway for Mission’s annual Heritage Picnic (June 4) and Canada Day celebrations at Fraser River Heritage Park (July 1). We are in need of enthusiastic volunteers to make both days come alive. If you’d like to help out, please email email@example.com.