Mission Moments – Festivals
As part of Mission’s 125th Anniversary celebrations, Councillor Jim Hinds presented Mission Moments: Festivals.
Mission has been known as “the City of Festivals” since the early 1900’s. Some of the festivals that have been hosted here are:
- May Day, started in 1921 by the Hospital Auxiliary to raise money for a new hospital in Mission. May Day included parades, dancing and sports, and continued until 1981.
- Music Festival, started in 1944 and running until 1961, which was the second largest festival of its kind in BC at that time.
- Strawberry Festival, started in 1946, in which a Strawberry King and Queen were crowned annually and included a baseball tournament and dancing at the Legion.
- Folkfest, featuring displays of various nationalities, ethnic food, dancing, singing and music from around the world. Folkfest ran from 1976 to 1980.
- The Children’s Art Festival, starting in 1985 and continuing to this day, provide events focused on introducing children to various art forms.
- The Mission Folk Music Festival, which started as a one day event in 1988 and has grown to a three day event featuring folk artists from around the world.
- MissionFest, a street fair to celebrate Mission on First Avenue began in 2011 and continues to this day.