Frequently Asked Questions


Question: At what age can I apply to be a firefighter?

Answer:  All applicants must be 18 years of age or older and must live within the boundaries of the City of Mission.

Question:  What do I do if my smoke alarm beeps and there is no sign of smoke?

Answer:  First replace the battery as most smoke alarms will give you a warning beep when the battery is failing. Also, smoke alarms should be cleaned at least every six months by gently vacuuming the exterior.

Question:  How often should I change my smoke alarm battery?

Answer:  You should change your smoke alarm battery twice per year.  A good reminder is to change your battery when you change your clock for the time change.

Question: How frequently should I test my smoke alarm?

Answer:  Smoke alarms should be tested once per month.

Question:  When does my smoke alarm need replacing?

Answer:  Smoke alarms do wear out and should be replaced every ten years.

Question: Can I recycle my old smoke alarm?

Answer:  London Drugs in Mission has a Green Deal recycle program that accepts used or expired smoke alarms, carbon monoxide (CO) alarms, and combination smoke and CO alarms. For further information on the AlarmRecycle program call 1-877-592-2972.

Question: Does the Fire Department accept used fire extinguishers for recycling?

Answer:  For safety reasons, we are unable to accepted used fire extinguishers, however, Maple Ridge Recycling Depot accepts them free of charge.

Question:  How can I determine the hydrant location in my area for insurance purposes?

Answer:  Mission Fire Rescue Service staff will advise the following information:

  • If your property is within ten kilometers of a fire hall
  • If your property is fire hydrant protected
  • If your property is within the Superior Tank Service area

Preference is that you email  your request to

Question: Does the Fire Department inspect infant car seats?

Answer:   Yes! Mission Fire Rescue Service holds Child Car Seat Clinics where you can have your car seat inspected free of charge.

Question: Can I burn garbage, household waste or construction/demolition waste?

Answer:  Burning of garbage and household waste is prohibited by the City of Mission’s Open Burning Bylaw and the Ministry of Environment. All items listed in the BC Waste Discharge Regulation are prohibited including construction and demo waste.

Question: Does the City of Mission have a recycling program for branches, twigs and vegetation waste?

Answer: The City of Mission has a green recycling program that provides curbside pick up of yard waste (vegetation) and small twigs and branches.  Loose vegetation must be placed in clear “compostable” garbage bags or a garbage can clearly marked with an orange sticker provided by the Municipality free of charge.  Branches must be bundled no larger than 2″ in diameter and 4′ in length.  Items will be picked up on your regular garbage pick up.  For further information review the Curbside Collection Guide or  contact the Engineering Department at 604-820-3736.

Question: Does the Fire Department provide CPR courses for the public?

Answer:  Mission Fire Rescue Service does not provide CPR courses for the public at this time.

Question:  Does the Fire Department provide water to fill backyard pools?

Answer:  Mission Fire Rescue Service does not provide water service for filling pools.

Question:  Does the Fire Department inspect wood stoves?

Answer:  Mission Fire Rescue Service does not inspect wood stoves.  The City of Mission Inspection Services Department inspects only installation of new woodstoves. Existing woodstoves must be inspected by a private company.

Question:  Does the Fire Department handle complaints of excessive smoke from wood stoves?

Answer:  Mission Fire Rescue Service does not have the authority to act on complaints of excessive smoke generated from wood stoves. You may want to contact the Ministry of Environment in your area regarding this matter.

Question: Does the Fire Department rescue cats from trees?

Answer:  Mission Fire Rescue Service does not rescue cats from trees.  We do, however, suggest you contact a tree service for advice on this matter.

Question: Can I book a birthday party at the Fire Department?

Answer:  We are unable to accommodate birthday parties due to the large volume of requests.