These highlights are a synopsis of the June 3, 2019 Regular Meeting of Council. Visit mission.ca to read the complete agenda or watch the recorded webcast of the meeting.
BC Culture Days Launch Event and Mission Culture Days
Mission will host the provincial launch of Culture Days in 2019. Val Billesberger from the Cultural Resources Commission presented an overview of the 10th Annual Culture Days weekend and the importance of celebrating the diverse culture of our community. Council approved $5,000 in funding for the creation of a video on Mission for the launch of Culture Days.
Roof Replacement Firehall #1
Council approved a roof replacement project for Firehall #1, citing that the roof was installed in 1999 and reported that it has reached its life expectancy of 20 years. Funding for the project will be coming from the General Capital Reserve Fund.
2019 Engineering & Public Works Capital Projects
Staff presented a list of new and carry-forward projects planned for 2019. They include:
- 7th Avenue culvert rehabilitation at Murray
- Upgrades to the penitentiary pump station and gravity main and the Falcon pump station
- Water main replacement and upgrades at Ruskin, Sandpiper and Cascade
- $3.18 Million in road paving
- A detailed road design for 14th Avenue
- Design work for five priority sidewalk projects including:
- Hatzic near Hatzic elementary and middle school
- 14th Avenue from Caribou to Cade Barr
- Wren Street from 7th to Sandpiper
- Cherry Avenue east of Cade Barr
- Cherry Avenue west of Cade Barr
Specific to the 14th Avenue sidewalk, staff noted the RFP for design work is still open, and that costing and timelines would come forward to Council once design work is completed by the successful proponent.