Here are some of the projects underway in and around our community from across Municipal operations:
- The new water main on Badger Avenue has been installed and water main testing is underway. Once testing is complete, individual tie-ins will be done on homes on Badger Avenue between Cedar Street and Bobcat Drive. The road is open to local traffic Tuesdays-Fridays from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm. Please follow the detour signs for an alternate route and abide by the no parking signs along this road. If you have any questions or concerns, please call Public Works at 604-820-3761.
- 70 meters of 200mm PVC storm pipe has been laid and 2 new catch basins have been installed at the top of Bench Avenue to aid with local drainage.
- Crews will be completing shoulder work alongside the new pavement on Dewdney Trunk Road, between Burma Street and Pilgrim Street.
- Paving and line painting is complete on Taulbut Street. Driveway accesses will be paved soon, weather permitting.
- Crews will be completing the shoulder work on Stave Lake North, including driveway accesses.
- Roads crews will be preparing for the repaving of Hayward Street, between Keystone and Lougheed highway.
- Utility crews will be conducting fall hydrant inspections at various locations.
- Water utility crews will continue to perform leak detection testing on water mains at various locations.
- Help keep our roads safe this fall and winter by clearing leaves and other debris from any culverts located near your home. If possible, avoid parking over culverts to allow municipal street sweepers and snow plows to clear during fall and winter.
- The 2018 Budget Council meetings are underway and the discussion regarding the District’s Budget Consultation will take place on November 20 at 1:00 pm. The public is encouraged to attend these meetings and comments and input are always welcomed. All meetings are webcast for those unable to attend. Visit mission.ca/budget for more information.
Parks, Recreation & Culture
The fall series of the Walk Mission Program is underway! Join us for this free program led by certified fitness staff that aim to keep you moving and motivated. Walks take place on Sunday mornings from 9:00-10:00 am. The next walk will take place on November 19th at Rolley Lake. For the full schedule, visit mission.ca/walkmission.
Call for Applications – Cultural Resources Commission
The District is seeking applications for the Mission Cultural Resources Commission for a two-year term beginning in January 2018. The Commission is seeking members with strong ties to the community and who have knowledge and experience with cultural activities and the arts. Completed applications must be received by November 15. Visit mission.ca/cultural-resources-commission to learn more.
Come skate with us while school’s out on a Pro-D break on November 24. From 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm, children 3-12 years old can skate for $1.00 while youth 13-18 years pay $2.00.
Free Family Swim
Join us for a free family swim at the Leisure Centre on November 29 from 6:30-8:00 pm, sponsored by the Morning Rotary Club.
Looking for fun things to do in our community? Visit our website www.mission.ca/community-events to view upcoming community events.
Remembrance Day Ceremony
Remember those who have served and fallen in service of Canada. Join us on November 11th for Mission’s Remembrance Day Ceremony, organized by the Royal Canadian Legion, Branch 57. The ceremony will begin at 10:00 am with a parade beginning at École des Deux-Rives on Stave Lake Street, followed by the Service of Remembrance at 10:40 am at the Clarke Theatre.