Here are some of the projects underway in and around our community from across Municipal operations:
- Nightly winter patrols have started, which include spraying brine on the roads when the temperatures drop below 2 degrees Celsius.
- With temperatures dropping, take the time to familiarize yourself with Mission’s snow and ice removal processes. Visit mission.ca/snow-and-ice-control to learn about Mission’s priority routes.
- The new water main on Badger Avenue has been installed and crews are currently working to connect individual water service tie-ins to the main. Crews are currently working in the area of Cedar Street and Bighorn Terrace. The road is open to local traffic Tuesdays-Fridays from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm. Please follow the detour signs for an alternate route and abide by the no parking signs along this road. If you have any questions or concerns, please call Public Works at 604-820-3761.
- Crews will be completing shoulder work Stave Lake North, including driveway accesses.
- Roads crews will begin repaving of Hayward Street, weather dependent.
- Utility crews have started flushing “non-looped” or “dead end” water mains and will continue as long as the weather stays above freezing. During flushing, you may experience a temporary discoloration of your water. If this occurs, please call 604-820-3761 for more information.
- Crews will be out brushing the roadside overhanging branches and mowing in various locations.
- Water utility crews will continue to perform leak detection testing on water mains at various locations.
- Business licence renewal reminders will be arriving in mailboxes within the next couple of weeks. All businesses operating within Mission are required to obtain a business licence. Late payment fees of an additional 25% and 50% can be avoided by renewing licences before February 1, 2018 and March 1, 2018 respectively. For your convenience, a drop off box is located at the front door of Municipal Hall for after hour and weekend deposits. Please call 604-820-3727 with any questions.
- The 2018 Final Budget Discussion will take place on November 29 at 1:00 pm in Council Chambers. Visit mission.ca/budget for more information.
Parks, Recreation & Culture
Free Family Swim
Join us for a free family swim at the Leisure Centre on November 29 from 6:30-8:00 pm, sponsored by the Morning Rotary Club.
Join us at the Leisure Centre from December 19-22 for an exciting holiday event. The South Arena will be transformed into an outdoor skating wonderland complete with decorative trees, thousands of lights, holiday music, giant toboggan run, visits from Santa, carolers and more. For more information, contact 604-820-5350 or visit www.mission.ca/ parks-recreation-and-culture.
Looking for fun things to do in our community this winter? Visit our website www.mission.ca/community-events to view upcoming community events.
Mission Candlelight Parade
Don’t miss the largest nighttime Christmas parade in BC! Join the Mission Regional Chamber of Commerce on December 1st as over 70 floats light up Downtown Mission. The fun starts at 7:30 PM, but a reminder that roads start to close down at 5:00 PM. Visit www.missionchamber.bc.ca for more