Here are some of the projects underway in and around our community from across Municipal operations:
- Public Works and Parks crews are working together to clean up all the public areas impacted by the severe ice storm. Our crews are responsible for the clearing and removal of District property and would like to remind residents that they are responsible for the clearing and removal of all private property trees and debris that may have fallen from their property on to roads, sidewalks, boulevards, lane and alley ways. Residents with boulevard trees, such as a flowering cherry tree in the front yard of each house on their street, can contact the Parks Department (604-820-5350) for assistance with a fallen or damaged boulevard tree.
- Our roads crews are out clearing trash racks, the metal grates inside a culvert that keeps debris from collecting, in various locations.
- Utility crews will be inspecting storm and sanitary service manholes in various locations, which may include manhole covers on private property. If crews need to access a cover on your property and it is behind a fence or in the yard, they will knock on the door, or leave a note to communicate their intentions.
- Utility crews have completed the annual flushing of “non-looped” or “dead end” water mains.
- Mission business licence renewals were due February 1, 2018. Renewals received after February 1, 2017 will be subject to a 25% late fee. All businesses operating within Mission are required to obtain a business licence. Avoid an additional 25% late payment fee by renewing licences prior to March 1, 2018. For your convenience, a drop off box is located at the front door of Municipal Hall for after hour and weekend deposits. Please call 604-820-3727 with any questions.
- The 2018 Curbside Collection calendars have been mailed out. An online version of the 2018 calendar is accessible at mission.ca\collectioncalendar. If you have any questions, please contact our Engineering Department at 604-820-3736.
Parks, Recreation & Culture
Free Family Swim
Join us for a free family swim at the Leisure Centre on January 31 from 6:30-8:00 pm, sponsored by the Midday Rotary Club.
Family Day Activities
On Family Day (Monday, February 12), the Leisure Centre will be open from 8:30 am – 4:30 pm. Create some special memories by participating in activities the whole family will enjoy:
Free Admission Activities Start Time End Time
Swimming* 8:30 am 4:30 pm
Skating 1:00 pm 3:00 pm
* Spray toys and waterslide open at 10:00 am.
A special thanks to Mission Early Childhood Development and the Province of British Columbia for their financial support.
Heritage Week Celebrations
Mission Community Archives and the Mission Museum are currently finalizing plans to celebrate this year’s Heritage Week, which will take place from February 19 to 25. Keep an eye out for the schedule of events, which will be posted on our events calendar at mission.ca/events and the Mission Archive’s Facebook page