Mission Community Heritage Commission
A community heritage commission assists council with the management and implementation of community heritage conservation planning and activities. A community heritage commission may: advise local government on matters included in the commission’s terms of reference, advise local government on matters referred to it by local government, and/or undertake or support heritage activities authorized by local government.
The Mission Community Heritage Commission will advise Council on progress toward implementation of the Heritage Strategic Plan adopted by Council in 2006 and on those items referred by Council, appoint sub-committees, as needed, that will explore proposals for addressing actions outlined in the Mission Heritage Strategic Plan, annually report to Council on its activities in the form of a work plan based on the Heritage Strategic Plan and a progress report on the previous years work plan, promote awareness of the importance of heritage to reflect economic, social, cultural, environmental, spiritual and aesthetic values provide the expertise of a culturally diverse group of people to connect groups, individuals, and heritage initiatives
We believe: Our “sense of place” enhances our community identity, emotional attachment and pride Knowledge of our past promotes continuity: understanding of where we have been and of how we got to where we are today Key heritage resources and the knowledge and aesthetic appreciation that we gain from them are important legacies for future generations Our “heritage memory” builds on traditional knowledge, encourages us to consider impacts and influences our decision making Linking key stakeholders for respectful dialogue and on-going exchange of information will lead to creative solutions and a sustainable future Heritage conservation has important social, environmental and economic impacts benefiting residents, visitors, and our community.
Terms of Reference
The Terms of Reference document describes the purpose and structure of the Mission Community Heritage Commission, including:
- Criteria for Membership
- Composition of Membership
- Term of Appointment
- Appointment Procedure
- Meeting Protocol
District of Mission Heritage Context Study
- Carl Klenck
- Mission Community Archives
- New Heights Church
- Rocko’s Diner
- Dr. Kuldip Kaur Gill
- Valerie Hundert
- Royal Canadian Legion Br. 57
- Sharon Syrette
- Mission District Historical Society
History of the Commission
Established by Council in January of 2007, the District of Mission Community Heritage Commission held its inaugural meeting on March 28th, 2007. The Commission is comprised of a representative/liaison from Mission Council and members from the Community-at-Large appointed by the Mayor & Council.
On March 2, 2009 the District of Mission established a Community Heritage Register to officially recognize local buildings and heritage places. The first properties listed in the register are: Fraser River Heritage Park, Mission Memorial Centre, Mission Museum, Silverhill Hall, Stave Falls Power House, and Xá:ytem. Six properties included in the Community Heritage Register:
Fraser River Heritage Park
The Fraser River Heritage Park is a large park located on the former site of St. Mary’s Indian Residential School in Mission, British Columbia. The park has a panoramic view of the Fraser River Valley and Mount Baker. It is predominantly a large open space with mature trees, paths, benches, newer wooden structures, a restaurant and administration building. Special features of the park are the foundations of the school buildings, the original orchard, the heritage plants in the rhododendron and rose gardens, and the reconstructed Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes.
Mission Memorial Centre
The Mission Memorial Centre, also known as the Old Hospital, is a one storey building located on the corner of Fifth Street and James Street in Mission, British Columbia. It is easily identified by its symmetrical brick façade, hi-style roof, and formal driveway entry.
The Mission Museum is a two-storey wood–frame building with multiple dormers and a full-width covered front porch. A set of full width stairs leads up to the porch where there are three pair of Doric columns. It is located on Second Avenue at the intersection of Welton Street in Mission, British Columbia.
Stave Falls Power House
Built in phases over a period of time from 1909 – 1925, the Stave Falls Power House is valued for its historic, architectural and cultural significance. The Stave Falls Power House is a large rectangular building constructed of reinforced concrete and steel and located in Mission, British Columbia. Its south elevation has three rows of paired windows; its north elevation only one row. The building site wedged between the steeply banked gorges of Stave Falls on a switchyard tailrace deck.
Xá:ytem is located above the north banks of the Fraser River in Mission, British Columbia and is a traditional gathering place of the Sto:lo. It is a Coast Salish site of spiritual significance to the Sto:lo people because of it’s Transformer Rock – sometimes called Hatzic Rock. This beautiful site features the Transformer Stone, 2 contemporary skumels (pithouses), a contemporary longhouse interpretive centre and gift shop, an artisan shelter and gathering areas. It has been the site of numerous archaeological digs that confirm thousands of years of occupation. The site is a now marked with interpretive signage.
The Mission Fairground is a six acre site located uphill from Mission’s historic core at 7650 Grand Street. An agricultural fair was held annually on this site to promote local industry from 1910 until 1997, making it the site of the longest continually held fair in western Canada and the fourth oldest fair in British Columbia. The Mission Leisure Centre was constructed on the site in 2002 to continue the legacy of the Fair and offer a range of community recreational uses.
Mission Post Office
The Mission City Post Office, located at 33191 First Avenue, completed in 1935, is a three storey brick and stone building occupying a prominent corner near the entrance to downtown Mission. It was the first dedicated post office to serve the growing needs of both the city and district of Mission. Although modest in stature, the Post Office is a landmark building in Mission due to its striking architecture and important role in the community.