Cannabis Regulation in Mission
Cannabis in Mission
As of October 17, 2018, the selling of cannabis for non-medicinal purposes became legal within Canada. The Liquor and Cannabis Regulation Branch (LCRB) is the licensing authority for the province of BC for non-medical cannabis retail stores. A retail cannabis store must be a standalone business only. Prior to the LCRB issuing a licence, input and a positive recommendation from the local government is required.
Please review the District of Mission Policy LEG.04 (LINK to policy) which outlines the process and requirements for submitting a Cannabis Retail Store application.
As per Policy LEG.04, Council will consider the following when determining whether to support, non-support, or support with conditions, a Cannabis Retail Store Licence:
- Location: Retail Cannabis licences may only be issued in a prescribed zone
as per the District of Mission Zoning Bylaw. (add note about the radius to school and other stores).
- Land Use Impact: Impacts on adjacent and nearby land uses.
- Public Input: Consider views from the public through a Public Input process.
- Community Benefit: How the applicant intends to fit within the community.
The following generally outlines the process for a Retail Cannabis Sales Licence Applications:
- Pre-Application Review Meeting (optional)
- Provincial Cannabis Retail Sales Licence Application
- Provincial Notification to the District
- Provincial Referral to the District
- Submit Retail Cannabis Store application and fees to District
- District Application Review
- Report to Council
- Public Input Session
- *Council Consideration (may occur the same evening as Public Input Session)
- Council submits recommendations to the LCRB for each application
- LCRB continues their internal review
- If approved by LCRB, submit Business Licence fee.
*Regardless of compliance with zoning regulations, Council is not obligated to support an application for a private Cannabis Retail Store.
Retail Cannabis Stores
The following applications have been approved for retail cannabis stores in Mission:
- Unit 212, 32530 Lougheed Highway
- 32988 – 1st Avenue
- Unit 111, 32423 Lougheed Highway
- Unit 101, 8778 Cedar Street
The following application has been approved for a provincial retail cannabis store:
- Units D0003 and D0004 – 31956 Lougheed Highway
Cannabis Production Facilities
Currently, Mission prohibits cannabis primary production within municipal boundaries except as permitted within the Agricultural Land Reserve (link to ALC).
Secondary production (utilizing cannabis as an ingredient) is allowed under existing permitted uses within the zoning bylaw. Please refer to Zoning Bylaw 5949-2020; or contact the Development Services Department for further information.
There are four levels of Cannabis Primary Producers
1. Standard Cultivation
2. Micro Cultivation
4. Personal Producers
The District of Mission is currently undergoing a review of its existing regulatory framework for Primary Producers (Standard, Micro and Nursery). The regulatory framework will contemplate all types and scales of production.
Please watch the District of Mission website for regulatory framework progress updates.
Mission is not interested in regulating the home cultivation, considered under the Cannabis Act as not requiring a licence. Mission will continue to actively enforce the Good Neighbour Bylaw.
Regulations, Forms and Background Information:
Please see District of Mission Policy LEG.04 for a full description for Cannabis Retail Store Applications:
- District of Mission Policy LEG.04 – Cannabis Retail Store Licence Applications
Retail Cannabis Store Application Form
- 2020-11-16 – Introduction of application RC20-006
- 2020-07-06 – Final Report for applications RC20-001, RC20-002, RC20-003, RC20-004 and RC20-005
- 2020-06-01 – Introduction of Applications RC20-001, RC20-002, RC20-003, RC20-004 and RC20-005
- 2019-12-16 – Application RC19-001 (31956 Lougheed Highway)
- 2019-11-18 – Policy LEG.04(C ) for Adoption
- 2019-10-21 – Public Hearing for bylaws 5861-2019-5050(355) and 5859-2019-3964(7)
- 2019-10-07 – To allow the regulation and sale of recreational cannabis
Other Related Links:
- Business Licence Bylaw 3964-2007
- Zoning Bylaw 5949-2020
- Land Use Application Procedures and Fees Bylaw 3612-2003
- Official Community Plan Bylaw 5670-2017
Federal and Provincial Licencing Regulations: