Property Taxes and Municipal Utilities
2018 Property Assessment Notices
BC Assessment notices will be delivered to homes the first couple weeks of January. To find out more information check out Property Assessments.
2018 Property Taxes
- Anticipated Mailing Date is: May 25, 2018
- Due Date: Tuesday, July 3, 2018
- Penalties: A 10% penalty will be added to any current balances outstanding (including unclaimed home owner grants) after July 3, 2018.
Property owners are responsible for payment of their annual property taxes by the due date to avoid penalty, whether or not they receive a property tax notice. Contact the Finance Department if you have not received your property tax notice by the second week in June.
The Municipality has no authority to either waive or modify these penalty amounts. It is a requirement of the Local Government Act that these penalties be added.
- Change of Address
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Home Owner Grants
- Municipal Utilities
- Payment Methods
- Permissive Tax Exemptions
- Property Assessments
- Secondary Dwellings & Suites
- Tax Rates
- Tax Sale Information
You will be able to claim your 2018 Home Owner Grant online in May of 2018. Generic Home Owner Grant forms are available now. Please complete the form and submit it to the Finance Department.
2017 Home Owner Grants may be claimed using a Retro Home Owner Grant Form. Find out more information.
What’s new for 2017? Find out what changes the Ministry of Finance has made.
Avoid the Line-ups!
During the last week before taxes are due (July 4th) there are typically long line-ups at the Municipal Hall of people coming in to pay their taxes. Avoid the line-ups by claiming your home owner grant online, paying your property taxes using your financial institution’s online banking or telephone banking services.
Or alternatively, mail in a post-dated cheque (dated July 4, 2017), along with your completed home owner grant application prior to June 23rd.
Consider signing up for the District’s Pre-Authorized Debit Plan to prepay your property taxes.
The most flexible option for making prepayments (or payments) is setting up recurring bill payments through your financial institution’s telephone or online banking system. You choose the frequency, the day of the month, and the amount. (Your 9 digit roll number [no dashes] is your account number).
Are You a New Home Owner?
If you have purchased property in Mission or plan to purchase one in 2017, you need to be familiar with your property tax obligation as recorded in your Purchaser’s Statement of Adjustments (contact your Lawyer or Notary for details).
If the 2017 property tax notice (mailed out in late May 2017) is in the name of the previous owner or you do not receive a copy of the notice by the second week in June, please visit Municipal Hall and bring your certified Land Title Registration Number (Form A – Freehold Transfer Form). This form will verify ownership allowing you to claim the Home Owner Grant (if eligible).
Important Dates and Deadlines
January 31, 2018
- Last day to appeal your 2018 Property Assessment.
July 3, 2018
- Property Tax Payments due date to avoid a penalty
- Home Owner Grant due date to avoid a penalty – claim now
- Property Tax Deferment Applications due date
- Last day to avoid the 10% penalty on 2018 property taxes and utilities owing
- Pre-authorized Debit Plan (PADP) deductions start for 2019 property taxes (August 2018 to May 2019) on the 15th of each month
- Any changes (i.e. banking information or pre-authorized amount) must be received by the 5th of each month
August 31, 2018
- Last day to have delinquent property taxes and interest paid to avoid property being reported in the newspaper
September 21, 2018
- Last day to pay your delinquent property taxes and interest to avoid tax sale
September 24, 2018
- Tax Sale Day (10:00 am in Council Chambers)
December 31, 2018