Delegations – Appearing Before Mayor & Council
What is a delegation?
A delegation is the formal name for an individual or group who appear before Council (or an Advisory Group of Council) in order to:
- Make a presentation on a matter that is of broad interest and that falls within the jurisdiction of the District;
- Initiate interest and guidance to a solution for an item of public concern; or
- Bring Council up to date on a project, idea, or concept.
Council does not hear delegations regarding planning applications that have been held or will be held at a public hearing meeting. Please see the Public Hearing Brochure (pdf.) for more information.
What are the steps involved? What is the process? How do I apply?
- Requests need to be in writing, use our on-line form below or email the Corporate Administration Department at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also send in your written request to our mailing address: 8645 Stave Lake Street, PO Box 20, Mission, BC V2V 4L9. Your letters/request forms are included as part of the Council Agenda, which is published on our website.
- All requests are reviewed by the Deputy Chief Administrative Officer and forwarded to Council to make a decision. Not all delegation requests will be approved by Council. At Council’s discretion, your request may be directed to other Sub-Committees or to staff.
- An administrative assistant of the Corporate Administrative Department will contact you with the decision of Council. If your request is approved by Council, you will be provided with further details including the meeting time and date and what specific Committee meeting you will attend.
Delegations are allotted 10 minutes to present, which includes a question and answer period from Mayor and Council. Keep your presentation brief and to the point, if you have a PowerPoint presentation, consider limiting it to the key points you wish to highlight and be as clear and concise as possible with your message.
Co-presenters will share your allotted 10 minute time frame. If you do have another individual joining you, please provide their name and title for inclusion on the agenda.
Download these presentation pointers (pdf.) prior to giving your presentation before council.
Request to Appear as a Delegation
- Persons or groups of persons wishing to appear as a delegation before Council shall request permission to appear by 4:00 pm Friday, 10 days in advance of the date of the Council Meeting;
- All delegations limited to 10-minute presentations; and
- Presenter(s) are limited to discussing only the requested topic during the delegation