Here are some of the projects underway in and around our community from across Municipal operations.
- A new water main is being installed along Badger Avenue, between Caribou Street and Cedar Street (including Bighorn Terrace and Antelope Drive). Construction will take place from Tuesday to Friday, 7:30 am to 5:00 pm. Street parking will not be allowed during construction hours within the construction zone. Expect traffic delays during construction and plan an alternate route if possible. Construction on the project will be completed in late 2017, weather permitting. Crews will finish off with property restoration and final road work in early 2018.
- Crews are busy installing new sidewalks along Taulbut Street. It is anticipated that all work on Taulbut Street will be completed by the end of October 2017, weather permitting. Crews will finish off with property restoration and final road paving.
- Flushing of Storm and Sanitary mains in various locations within Mission are underway and will be ongoing until December.
- Cleaning and inspection of catch basins in various locations within Mission are underway and will be ongoing until Mid-October.
- The 2018 Budget Council meetings are underway and the discussion regarding the District’s Utilities Budget will take place on October 23 at 1:00 pm. The public is encouraged to attend these meetings and comments and input are always welcomed. All meetings are webcast for those unable to attend. Visit mission.ca/budget for more information.
- Mission Fire Rescue Service will be hosting a Fire & Life Safety Fair on October 1, 2017 from 1 to 4pm at Fire Station No. 1 to present important safety information on burn awareness and prevention along with interactive games and fun activities for your entire family. For more information, call Mission Fire Rescue Service at 604-820-3793 or visit www.nfpa.org/fpw.
Parks, Recreation & Culture
New Fall/Winter Leisure Guide
Mission PRC’s Fall/Winter Leisure Guide is here! It highlights programs and services offered by the Parks, Recreation & Culture Department, including pool, fitness and arena schedules. Don’t miss out – fall programs are set to begin over the next couple of weeks. Be sure to check out the guide online at mission.ca/leisure.
Sports Park Artificial Turf Field Official Opening
Join us at 10:00 am on Saturday, September 23 for the grand opening of the artificial turf field! There will be a ribbon cutting, cake cutting, giveaways, and more.
Free Family Swim
Join us for a free family swim at the Leisure Centre on September 27 from 6:30-8:00 pm, sponsored by the CUPE Local 1267.
Mission Strong Youth Challenge – September 24 – October 21
Mission Strong is a 4-week youth fitness challenge beginning on September 24 that aims to get youth active! At the end of the four weeks, youth will complete a 30-station, mud-filled obstacle course. Registration is $20. Visit mission.ca/missionstrong to learn more.
Mission Culture Days
The 7th annual Culture Days weekend will take place from September 30 – October 2 at various locations around the community. This year’s celebration features dozens of free activities from a wide range of disciplines including visual arts, music, dance, and theatre. Check out the many free and fun Culture Days activities by visiting mission.ca/culturedays.
Roots N’ Blues Fest
Back at this year’s Mission Culture Days: Roots N’ Blues Fall Fest on September 30. Live music, vintage cars, food trucks, corn roast, hay maze, and much more. And best of all? It’s completely free! Check it out between 12:00-6:00 pm at Fraser River Heritage Park.
Walk Mission Fall Series
The fall series of the Walk Mission Program is underway! Join us for this free program led by certified fitness staff that aim to keep you moving and motivated. Walks take place on Sunday mornings from 9:00-10:00 am. The next walk will take place on October 8th and will begin at the Mission waterfront harbour building. For the full schedule, visit mission.ca/walkmission.