Here are some of the projects underway in and around our community from across Municipal operations:
- BC Hydro will be using a helicopter to install power lines across the Stave River from 8:00 am – 5:00 pm on October 22 and 23. To complete this work safely, traffic will be stopped for approximately 30 minutes each time the helicopter is operating over Wilson Street. Please follow the directions of traffic management and on-site crews, or plan a different route.
- Contractors will start paving on Dewdney Trunk Road between Pilgrim Street and the Stave Dam early next week. The road will remain open, but expect delays as there will be single lane alternating traffic in affect.
- Road crews have begun paving Taulbut Street between 7th and 14th Avenue.
- Utility crews have installed a new Pressure Regulating Station on the Cedar Connector, South of Briskham Street and North of Fraser Crescent. Traffic crews will be on site and Cedar Valley Connector will be down to single lane traffic, both directions, as crews repave the road.
- Road crews are in the process of laying the final layer of asphalt on Stave Lake North, from White Avenue East towards Miracle Valley. There may be some traffic delays, but the road will remain open as a single, alternating lane.
- A new water main is being installed along Badger Avenue, between Caribou Street and Cedar Street (including Bighorn Terrace and Antelope Drive). Crews will continue test digging on Badger Avenue throughout next week and working on running services to private properties. The road is open to local traffic only Tuesdays-Fridays from 7:30am to 5:30pm. Please follow the detour signs for an alternate route and abide by the no parking signs along this road. If you have any questions or concerns, please call Public Works at 604-820-3761
- Roads crews are completing minor concrete repairs at various locations.
- Utility crews will be conducting fall hydrant inspections at various locations.
- Water utility crews will continue to perform leak detection testing on water mains at various locations.
- The 2018 Budget Council meetings are underway and the discussion regarding the District’s Utilities Budget will take place on October 23 at 1:00 pm. The public is encouraged to attend these meetings and comments and input are always welcomed. All meetings are webcast for those unable to attend. Visit mission.ca/budget for more information.
Parks, Recreation & Culture
Free Family Swim
Join us for a free family swim at the Leisure Centre on October 25 from 6:30-8:00 pm, sponsored by the IAFF Local 4768.
Palate to Palette – A Taste of Mission
Experience five fabulous food tastings from local restaurants paired with live music, art and special presentations at “Palate to Palette – A Taste of Mission” on Saturday, October 28 from 7:00 – 9:00 pm at Heritage Park Centre. Tickets are $40 per person and are available at the Mission Leisure Centre, the Clarke Theatre, or the Mission Community Archives. Only 125 tickets available, cost includes tastings and commemorative 125th anniversary beer and glass.
Call for Applications – Cultural Resources Commission
The District is seeking applications for the Mission Cultural Resources Commission for a two-year term beginning in January 2018. The Commission is seeking members with strong ties to the community and who have knowledge and experience with cultural activities and the arts. Completed applications must be received by November 15. Visit mission.ca/cultural-resources-commission to learn more.