Mission, BC—With the heat wave continuing for the next few days, we are expecting a busy weekend in the parks, trails, and recreation sites throughout the city.
If you are planning to enjoy some of the many recreation opportunities in Mission, please consider the following to ensure everyone’s safety:
Stave West Recreation
- Campfires are permitted in approved fire rings at designated campgrounds ONLY. Fires are not allowed on the side of Florence Lake FSR.
- The following areas are designated for Day Use only:
– Rockwell Delta
– Devils Lake Loop Trail and parking lot
– 79 Grind Trail and parking lot
– Area east of Kearlsey Creek, near 9.5km.
- Camping is permitted in designated campgrounds only. Please note there is a cash-only parking fee for visitors.
- Know before you go. Check BCHydro social media to see if the gates at Hayward Lake are closed due to capacity. Please avoid staging on Dewdney Truck Road. This creates dangerous traffic congestion issues.
- BC Wildfire Service is asking travellers and residents to be prepared for risk of wildfire over the long weekend, to have an emergency plan, and to stay informed as conditions change. Download Alertable to receive alerts.
Mission RCMP, the Forestry Department’s Fire Warden, and Bylaw Officers will be completing patrols of the area over the long weekend to ensure compliance.
Parks and Trails
- Dogs must remain on a leash at all times.
- Pack it in, pack it out: take home all of your garbage at the end of your day and leave no trace.
- Smoking is not permitted in any park, at any time.
- Stay alert to fire risks in the community, and report all fires.
- While the City plans to implement a pilot that would allow alcohol in select parks, this has not happened yet and drinking remains prohibited.
Heat & Air Quality Alert
Find locations of Cooling Centres, tips for keeping cool, and other information regarding our Heat Response.